When Child Custody and Support Can Be Changed

Child custody and support orders are based on your situation at a particular point in time. If your situation changes in the future, those orders can be modified.

At Lazenby Law Firm LLC in Spartanburg, we help men and women modify child custody, visitation and support orders. Call 864-707-0201 to talk to a lawyer.

When Can Child Custody and Visitation Be Changed in South Carolina?

The following are examples of times when a child custody and visitation order can be changed in South Carolina:

  • When a parent wishes to relocate
  • When a parent's living situation affects a child's well-being
  • Drug abuse by a parent
  • When a child is not doing well in school
  • When a custodial parent is denying the other parent's visitation rights
  • When an older child wishes to live with the other parent

When Can Child Support Be Changed in South Carolina?

You can seek a reduction in child support payments for the following reasons:

  • Losing your job through no fault of your own.
  • Making substantially less money.
  • A child you were supporting now lives with you
  • A medical condition limits your ability to work
  • A child finishes high school
  • A child joins the military

You can seek an increase in child support for the following reasons:

  • Your child care costs or needs have increased
  • The payer of support makes substantially more money
  • You lost your job or make significantly less
  • A medical condition limits your ability to work
  • You have an additional child to support from the noncustodial parent
  • A child with the same custodial parent is now living with you

For More Information About When You Can Modify Child Custody and Support

Call 864-707-0201 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation with attorney Alan Lazenby.