Child Custody and Visitation Arrangement in South Carolina

For parents going through a divorce, negotiating a child custody and visitation arrangement is the first and most important issue that needs to be resolved.

At Lazenby Law Firm LLC, we help our clients craft child custody and visitation agreements for parents going through divorce and for unmarried parents. From our law office in Spartanburg, we serve clients throughout Upstate South Carolina, including Greenville, Anderson and Rock Hill. Call 864-707-0201 for an initial consultation.

Putting Your Child's Interests First

In general, South Carolina Courts do not favor 50-50 child-sharing arrangements. To provide additional structure and stability for children, one parent typically has primary physical custody while the other has visitation rights according to a schedule.

While moms traditionally have had primary physical custody of children, South Carolina law is gender neutral. The tender years doctrine that favors mothers having custody of very young children has been abolished. Instead, Courts base custody decisions on the best interests of the child using factors, such as:

  • Who will provide the best education for the child
  • Which parent will best foster the health and spiritual growth of the child
  • Which parent will foster a relationship between the child and the other parent

Both parents typically share legal custody, which concerns important decisions such as medical care, religious upbringing and education. Sole custody is rare except in cases of child abuse or domestic violence.

How Child Support Is Calculated

South Carolina uses a formula to determine child support. In most cases, the Department of Social Services' child support calculator will produce an accurate estimate of the amount of child support you will pay or receive. Our law firm has software that can produce a more accurate amount based on your special circumstances.

An experienced lawyer can ensure your child support entitlement or obligation is calculated accurately.

Learn more:

Can child custody and support be changed after divorce?

For More Information About Child Custody and Visitation

Call 864-707-0201 or complete our contact form to schedule a consultation with attorney Alan Lazenby.